Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Brandberg 2009 - Why?

It all started with Aisie giving me a copy of Nou's on in ons Donner in by Johan Bakkes. This reminded me of something I forgot. When last did you do something for the first time? What were the things you promised yourself long before you thought of a career a family or even your first car. Call it a mid-life crisis, call it what you like, I realised that something had to be done.

I discussed this with my wife Michelle who (to my surprise) agreed that it would be a good idea if I take 10 days a year and do my own thing. Some ground rules were laid down. It had to be a physical challenge, it had to involve a place of which little is known and the company should be good friends.

I started research on Brandberg in 2008 and at all of our parties for the last year I dropped new information on the illusive Brandberg hike. The company was going to be old school friends from 20 years back and they were all keen. The wifes were not so keen but they did not offer too much resistance, probably thinking we would not go through with the plans. Most of the plans involved lots of wine so I don't blame them for thinking it was only praty talk.


But little did they know that I was going to climb that mountain even if only one friend joined me. We ended up being 7! Merwe, Aisie, Herman, Erik, Pieter and Kennett joined me on the hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment